Gracelynn and I were busy girls today! We took Clayton on a walk, went to "Mother Goose" time at the library and then decided it was time to make cookies. (I'm on sweets duty for bible study tomorrow night)
I know it's backwards to try new recipes out on non family members, but for some reason, that's always when I tend to make something new. This time...I tried my hand at Royal Icing for sugar cookies. I'm a self-proclaimed cook, but a self-condemned baker, so I had no business baking for unsuspecting eaters. However! The sugar cookies came out quite well, if I do say so myself. :)
Here's a step-by-step look at the afternoon:
1: Totally cover the kitchen in flour, cookie dough, and powered sugar. Bake cookies at 350 degrees. Put Gracelynn down for a nap before they come out!
2: Whip up some Royal Icing (this is super stiff stuff! Only 1 egg white, 1/2 tsp. lemon juice, and about 1-lb powdered sugar)
3: Color the frosting orange and pipe the pumpkin cookies. (I learned that "piping" is outlining the cookies so that when you "flood" it, everything stays on the cookie)
4: Flood the cookies! (Which means, taking my super-ultra stiff frosting, adding water, and then pouring over the cookies. They said to use a toothpick to spread it all, but I found that a baby spoon worked so much better)
5: Take a breather....
6: Get Gracelynn up from her nap, change diaper, return to cookies. The frosting has to "set" and get hard before I can do any detailing.
7: Survey the disaster I (and Gracelynn) created in the kitchen...make mental note to ask husband to HELP!
8: Detail pumpkin cookies!
9: Using a "kid" paintbrush, brush details with corn syrup.
10: Using favorite sprinkles/crystals! (They didn't have orange crystals at the grocery store...so we had to settle for sprinkles)
Whew! It was a fun day...but I'm worn out. Somehow, the three of us managed to get to the park too.
Three more weeks left of Heath's 8th grade football season. Gracelynn will enjoy it so much more when he's home. She's always asking for "Daddy". What? Am I really that boring??
Here she is only a 1/2 hour ago reading a book about yawns. Yawwwwwn.
And Mr. Smiley-Pants on his sister's towel...not very manly, I know.
There! Mr. I'm-Still-Hungry on a "manly" blanket. :)
Okay, definitely tired now. Good night readers!






No comments:
Post a Comment