Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bruschetta Fix

I know I know.
You'd think I could at least blog consistently.
Yeah. Right!

Anyway - bruschetta and an alfredo chicken bake were on the menu for supper tonight. I absolutely love the whole process of making bruschetta...right down to the eating bruschetta! (Although, somehow, I remember the bruschetta in Germany and Austria to be so much better than mine... :)

No - my camera is just a wanna-be, but I've been on a "expand my recipes" kick so I thought I'd take a picture for you all of the newest bruschetta recipe!

Bruschetta with Tomato and Avocado

Gracelynn loves avocados and tomatoes...so she thought the arrangement of bruschetta on the table was hers. Sorry girlie! Too much olive oil for you! She didn't get any bread either because homemade foccacia is too stiff for her to chew. :( But - I did save some plain avocado and tomatoes for her! This is her camera-shy sign for "more".

She dug into her chicken alfredo after she finished up her baby version of bruschetta, but couldn't get over how it all stuck to her fingers!

She's literally trying to wipe it off here!
(She's really wanting to get it off and get the meal over because she knows it's bathtime!)

Just in case...

Bruschetta with Tomato and Avocado

1/2 loaf whole-grain French, ciabatta or other thin loaf bread (we always use homemade foccacia)
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
3 cloves garlic, passed through a garlic press
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 handful fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 fresh avocados
Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon (or a spritz of lemon juice)

Preheat oven to 375º F / 190 ºC. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice bread into thin, 1/2-inch slices on the diagonal. Arrange slices on baking sheet. Don’t overlap. Use another baking sheet if necessary. Use a baking brush to lightly coat each piece of bread with olive oil. Bake for several minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven. Set aside.
 In a medium-sized oven-safe mixing bowl combine tomato, remaining olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Place in hot oven and bake for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft. Remove from heat.
 Transfer cooked tomatoes to new mixing bowl. Add basil and balsamic vinegar. Mix gently to combine. Set aside. Peel avocados. Cut in half and remove pits. Dice avocado and toss with lemon juice. *I learned this just recently...cut your avocado in half and then press over a cookie sheet...literally, they'll come out all cubed and ready! No peeling or dicing! Top each piece of bread with tomato mixture. Top with avocado. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment